Exclusive Interview and Artist Spotlight with Steve Araujo
- When and why did you start playing?
I believe I was around 14 years old and I found my stepfather’s guitar. He taught me a few chords and I started to learn some basic country songs. Then my mom bought me a bass when I was around 15-16 years old because nobody played bass in my neighborhood and my friends band needed a bassist.
- Which instruments do you play?
I am a 100% true bassist. I play fretted, fretless and double bass and I dabble in guitar and piano. I’ve dedicated my life to being the best and most well rounded musician I can be.
Right now I’m endorsed by Wilkins and Marco basses. I also have a few vintage instruments that get plenty of playing time on stage and in the recording studio. I also use DR Strings exclusively and I provide them with all of their sound demo’s.
- What was the first tune(s) you learned?
- Which famous musicians do you admire? Why?
Jaco Pastorius, he single handedly changed the way the electric bass is played, he redefined it’s role in music and pushed the sonic boundaries of what we once thought the instrument was capable of.. His personal life was chaotic and unfortunately ended tragically, but he left an indelible mark on every bassist that picks up the instrument weather they realize it or not.
THE GROOVE OF MOTOWN
- What’s your favorite era of music?
The Motown era is my absolute favorite!! I grew up on this music and I still find the grooves infectious.
- Cake, Pie or Ice Cream?
Warm Pecan Pie with a huge scoop of REAL Vanilla Ice Cream on top.
- Favorite non Network Show?
8 Best undiscovered band?
One of my favorite new bands is Lake Street Dive, they’ve got a great groove, amazing melodies and they are awesome musicians.
- Describe your first instrument.
1976 Fender Precision bass!! An absolutely amazing bass that I modified and wish I still had.
- Were you influenced by old records & tapes? Which ones?
I had a giant record selection and would buy 2-3 new records weekly!! Vinyl sounds so good!!
HE’S INSPIRED BY MANY …
- Who are your favorite musicians? Groups? CD’s?
Stevie Wonder, Donny Hathaway, Led Zeppelin, Jaco Pastorius, there are so many. As far as favorite records, Chaka Khan-Naughty, Steely Dan-Aja, Rage Against The Machine-self titled debut, Jaco Pastorius-Word Of Mouth, Jamiroquai-Emergency On Planet Earth, Dr Dre-The Chronic, and many others!!!
- How do you handle mistakes during a performance?
Mistakes happen, it’s how you recover and how quickly you recover that matters. You have to listen and hear everything and everyone, if you’re not doing that you’ll never be able to follow or play with a group effectively.
- Do you get nervous before a performance or a competition?
I only feel nervous if I’m not prepared, and that doesn’t happen, I’m always prepared.
- What advice would you give to beginners who are nervous?
Get nervous, become comfortable being under pressure, GIG GIG GIG!!! Put yourself in uncomfortable situations so you overcome or are able to deal with that fear.
READING & PRACTICING MUSIC
- Do you read music?
- How often and for how long do you practice?
I practice every day, and actually try to play double bass and piano daily as well.
- What do you practice – exercises, new tunes, hard tunes, etc.?
I practice sight reading, classical pieces on double bass and I also practice piano almost daily.
- How do you balance your music with other obligations – mate, children, job?
I am super fortunate to make my living playing music and in the music industry, so I have a very flexible schedule. It allows me to have a very fulfilling life.
MUSIC MAKES THE PARTY “HAPPEN”
- Why do you like playing weddings?
It’s great knowing that the band made the party and wedding “happen!!”
- Describe the perfect wedding set list.
- Favorite Venue for to play Live Music Entertainment?
I like playing at concert venues, the Coach House is always a fun venue.
- Dream Gig?
Bassist for JAMIROQUAI!!
- Name: Steve Araujo
- Website: TheBassHang.com
- Training: 1000’s of gigs!!!
- Favorite place for breakfast?
Surf-N-Donuts!! Killer breakfast burritos and donuts!!
- Favorite LA venue to hear Live Music Entertainment?
THE FAMILY …
- Why do you enjoy being a part of The Replicas Music Family?
It’s great to be part of a professional company that really cares about their musicians and looks out for the musician’s best interest. They also have the most professional and incredibly talented musicians working for them. I’m truly thankful to be included in The Replicas Musical family.